by Kelley Herring
If you’ve made our Chocolate Bliss Cake before, then you know how delicious it is when made according to the package directions. While there’s not much better than chocolate cake, sometimes you want something more. More than chocolate, you say?
Oh yes. Many things pair beautifully with chocolate, but nothing is quite like coffee. Maybe it’s the deep aromatic flavors, or the fact that they’re both naturally caffeinated, but it’s a flavor combination many simply can’t turn down.
Today, we’re going to show you how to make a Gluten Free Kahlua Chocolate Cupcake recipe that will please the most die-hard chocolate and coffee lovers. You’ll still get the rich, delicious taste of our Chocolate Bliss Cake Mix, but with a hint of coffee and a bit of Kahlua. And of course, just like the Chocolate Bliss, it is gluten free and there is no added sugar. Yes, you heard that right. We are going to make something called Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes without adding sugar!
Making these is super easy, and other than the time it takes to cool your cupcakes before icing them (this seems like the longest part!), you can make these in a snap.
The best part about the Chocolate Bliss Cake Mix is that you don’t need much in the way of ingredients. For this recipe all you’re really adding is the Kahlua, which, while it adds a subtle flavor in the cake mix, is simply divine in the tangy cream cheese frosting.
We’re going to start with the cupcakes first, since they’ll need cooling time. Start by preheating your oven to 350ºF.
In a medium mixing bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, add 2 eggs, 1/2 cup coconut oil and 2 ounces of softened cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer on high until fully combined.
Add the Chocolate Bliss Cake Mix, and blend on medium speed until combined. It will look more like a cookie dough at this point than a cake batter, but that’s okay.
Add 4 ounces hot coffee along with 4 ounces of Kahlua liqueur and continue beating on medium until the batter is smooth.
Line a cupcake pan with liners and fill them about 2/3 full with the batter.
Bake until the tops spring back lightly, about 18-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before placing them on a wire rack.
Now it’s time to wait for the cupcakes to cool, but don’t worry, because now we’re going to get to the delectable frosting!
Put 8 ounces of softened cream cheese in a mixing bowl with 4 tablespoons of softened butter and beat until combined. Add 2 packets of Frosting Starter Mix and continue beating on high until fluffy. Slowly add in about 4 tablespoons of Kahlua. Beat until fluffy.
When the cupcakes are completely cool (no cheating!), it’s time to frost them. There are several ways to do this. I piped the frosting through a round tip and then spread it in a mound on top. You could pipe them through a star tip if you want to be fancy, or just spread the frosting with a knife if that’s more your style.
I garnished mine with a single chocolate covered espresso bean, but you could use finely ground espresso powder, chocolate shavings or chips, or nothing at all. The possibilities are endless, but the results are nothing short of amazing!
- For Cupcakes:
- 2 organic pastured eggs
- 4 oz. organic hot coffee
- ½ cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 2 oz. organic cream cheese
- 1 pack Chocolate Bliss Cake Mix
- 4 oz. Kahlua liqueur
- For Frosting:
- 8 oz. organic cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp. pasture butter, room temp
- 4 Tbsp. Kahlua liqueur
- 2 packets Frosting Starter Mix
- First prepare the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a cupcake tin with liners.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs, oil and cream cheese. Using an electric mixer, beat on high until fully combined.
- Add in Chocolate Bliss Cake Mix, blending on medium speed to incorporate.
- Add hot coffee and Kahlua and mix until batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners, filling about ⅔ full.
- Transfer to oven and bake until the tops spring back when pressed lightly, about 18-20 minutes. Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- In a medium bowl, add the butter, cream cheese and Frosting Starter Mix.
- Using an electric mixer, blend on high until fluffy, gradually adding the Kahlua.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and serve!
307 calories, 18 g fat, 25 g carbohydrate, 13 g sugar alcohols, 7 g sugar, 9 g fiber, 7 g protein