Can’t do eggs? Forget the fake egg substitutes made from soy protein and chemicals. Instead opt for natural substitutes, like the ones we’ve suggested below. Keep in mind, anytime a recipe calls for more than two eggs, replacing them with egg equivalents may not produce the same results.
Whole Egg Substitutes
- ⅓ cup applesauce = 1 egg
- ¼ cup applesauce + 1 tsp baking powder = 1 egg
- ½ pureed banana (¼ cup) = 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds +3 Tbsp. water (sit for 5 minutes) =1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds + 3 Tbsp. water (sit for 5 minutes) = 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. gelatin + 3 tablespoons lukewarm water = 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. of flaxseed oil+ 3 tablespoons water = 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. of pureed fruit = 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk = 1 egg
- ⅓ cup cooked pumpkin = 1 egg
- 2 – 4 oz of yogurt + ½ tsp. of oil = 1 egg
Egg White Substitute
For each egg white, dissolve 1 Tbsp. plain agar powder in 1 Tbsp. water. Whip, chill and whip again.
Egg Yolk Substitute
Soak raw cashews, and grind to a smooth cream using a high-powered blender. Use 1.5 Tbsp. cashew cream for each egg yolk to replace.