A few weeks ago, we posted a recipe for our Paleo Gluten-Free Biscuits. And while these “drop” biscuits are delicious with a spread of warm butter or topped with a hearty sausage gravy, some readers wrote in asking for a different kind of biscuit…
A soft and fluffy biscuit with a bit more”chew”… and a biscuit that was sturdy enough to build a hearty breakfast sandwich.
Naturally, we got to work.
The Paleo Breakfast Biscuit: How to Make The Perfect Grain-Free Breakfast Sandwich
To create a biscuit with a light and airy texture, I looked to egg whites. I figured their protein would add structure and help hold the biscuits together. I also hoped the egg whites would give the biscuits some height. Eureka… I was right!
In this recipe, I used one half cup of liquid egg whites. You can also use the equivalent of real egg whites (approximately four whites from large eggs). The only other ingredients you’ll need are Miracle Mix and some coconut oil (other solid fats, like grass-fed tallow, should work too).
The full recipe is below. For now, here are the steps to take:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and grease a cookie sheet. Get two medium bowls and a hand mixer ready. Grab an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup.
In the first bowl, add the Miracle Mix and coconut oil. Use a fork or a pastry blender to combine the fat with the dry mix, until you have coarse crumbs. Place in the fridge or freezer to chill. Meanwhile, whip your egg whites until they are nice and fluffy (I whipped for about 2 minutes).
Gently stir your chilled flour mixture into your whipped egg whites to combine. Don’t worry about “folding.” You just want to stir to incorporate the egg whites throughout. The consistency of the batter may surprise you – it will be a lot like mashed potatoes.
Scoop the batter onto the greased cookie sheet…
Then pop them into your preheated oven for 15 minutes (just enough time to cook up your eggs and bacon). Your biscuits will emerge fluffy and golden.
Add your eggs and bacon, and viola – you have the perfect Paleo breakfast biscuit sandwich (The image below uses two biscuits for the sandwich)
And if you like this, please share it with your friends or Pinterest followers!
- ¾ cup Miracle Mix (75 grams)
- ½ cup liquid egg whites (in a carton) or equivalent of real egg whites
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, solid
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, add Miracle Mix and coconut oil.
- Using a fork, “cut” the coconut oil into the Miracle Mix until you have a crumbly mixture. Put the mixture in the fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile, add the egg whites to a medium deep bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat on high for 2 minutes until soft peaks form.
- Gently stir in the chilled Miracle Mix mixture to combine. You should have the consistency of mashed cauliflower – it will be a bit runny, not like a dough.
- Scoop ¼ cup amounts onto the greased cookie sheet (an ice cream scoop works well)
- Transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
124 calories, 12 g fat, 10 g saturated, 1 g monounsaturated, 0 g polyunsaturated, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein