Imagine sitting down to a thick stack of warm French toast, topped with melting butter and drizzled with maple syrup.
For a few minutes, you savor every sweet bite… and then succumb to the sugar crash and guilt that inevitably follows.
But the worst part about eating a breakfast like this isn’t how you feel afterwards – it is what’s happening inside of your body…
Insulin levels spike. Inflammation rises. Fat gets stored around your belly, butt and thighs.
Over time, high-carbohydrate breakfasts like this will set the stage for disease and obesity.
But what if you could enjoy a delicious breakfast of French toast – without a gram of grain – and still enjoy every golden morsel just as much?
Well, now you can!
Paleo French Toast: A Metabolic Makeover of Your Favorite Breakfast
We’ve made over the traditional dense, chewy and sweet French toast breakfast using our wildly popular and nutritious Better Bread Mix.
Unlike the French toast you’d pick up in a diner or the freezer case, our Paleo French Toast is grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and low-carb. It’s also rich in healthy fats… and utterly delicious!
And this is really important because breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
But unfortunately most of us are filling up on JUNK to start our day.
You know what I’m talking about – the sugary toaster pastries… the syrup-soaked waffles…the bowl of processed cereal… the drive thru muffin or scone that’s so hard to pass up when you’re starved and in a rush to work.
Even so-called “healthy” breakfast options like a bowl of organic oatmeal are bad news when it comes to your blood sugar, your metabolism and your long term health!
But enjoying a proper, nutritious breakfast like our Paleo French Toast doesn’t have to be a chore. And it needn’t be saved for a special occasion either.
In fact, this is the perfect breakfast to make ahead and freeze.
Paleo French Toast: A Freezer-Friendly, Make-Ahead Breakfast
That’s right – this delicious recipe can be made ahead and simply popped in the toaster oven on those busy mornings for a hot, nutrient-rich breakfast that your entire family will love.
In fact, when you make it ahead, you can sink your teeth into this delicious Paleo French Toast in the short time it takes for your coffee to brew (and NO cleanup!).
Best of all, each golden, chewy, satisfying slice packs nearly six grams of protein, eight grams of healthy fat … and just one gram of sugar, three net carbs and about 100 calories!
Not only will you and your family be nourished, you’ll feel good about starting your day on a healthy foot.
And what about the syrup?
We’ve got you covered! Below, you’ll also find our delicious healthy recipes for Antioxidant Super Syrup (a low-glycemic, antioxidant-rich syrup with just two grams of sugar per tablespoon) and our All-Natural Sugar-Free Maple Syrup that you can drizzle to your hearts content.
Start your day with protein and healthy fats (NOT carbs and grains!) for a leaner body and better health.
Our Paleo French Toast is a delicious way to do it!
Paleo French Toast Recipe (or Paleo French Toast Sticks)
Any chef will tell you that the best French toast is made with day-old French bread. You’ll get the same chewy flavor and golden-brown goodness with our grain-free version. For the kiddos, cut bread slices into three-quarter-inch slices prior to the egg bath to make French Toast Sticks.
- 1 Better Bread Mix, prepared as directed
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1 Tbsp. organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. virgin coconut oil (for frying)
- Slice bread loaf into ½ inch thick slices. You will have about 16.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla.
- Heat a safe, nonstick skillet (preferably Le Creuset or other enameled cast iron) over medium heat with two teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Place bread slices into the egg mixture to coat.
- Place soaked bread onto preheated, greased pan and cook for 1 minute or until golden. Flip and cook another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Serve with Kerrygold butter and your choice of Antioxidant Super Syrup or Sugar Free Maple Syrup (recipes follow below).
111 calories, 8 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 3 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 53 mg cholesterol, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 5.5 g protein
BONUS RECIPE: Antioxidant Super-Syrup – A Berry-Packed Topping for Paleo French Toast
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. organic maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 cup frozen organic blueberries or mixed berries (thawed)
- Put the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to bubble up. Reduce heat and whisk constantly until thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm over Paleo French toast.
15 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g monounsaturated fat, 0 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g carbohydrate, 2 g sugar, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein
BONUS RECIPE: Calorie-Free, Sugar-Free Maple Syrup – A Traditional-Tasting Topping for Paleo French Toast
Do you love maple syrup… but not the sugar? This easy and delicious recipe is a snap to whip up and gives you the maple flavor you love, without the calories, carbs and sugar you don’t. Drizzle over one of our pancake or waffle recipes for a wholesome, comfort-food breakfast.
- ½ cup Sinless Sweetener
- 10-15 drops liquid stevia (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. Frontier Maple Flavoring or Cook’s Organic Maple Extract (preferred)
- In a small saucepan, bring two cups of water to a boil. Add the maple extract.
- Add Sinless Sweetener and stevia and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Slowly add the gum and whisk until fully dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
0 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g monounsaturated fat, 0 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g carbohydrate*, 0 g sugar, 0 g fiber, 0 g protein
*Carbohydrates derived from sugar alcohols which are counted as zero calories