What could beat a juicy corned-beef deli sandwich, piled high with sauerkraut and drizzled with Russian dressing, between two slices of fresh rye bread?
Sounds delicious, right?
But if you’re following a gluten free or Paleo lifestyle, or you’re just concerned about your health and waistline, Ruebens (or sandwiches of any kind!) might be a thing of the past.
But what if you could re-create your favorite deli sandwiches – like Reubens, Rachels or even a simple turkey and Swiss on rye – without exposing yourself to inflammatory gluten and grains that cause your blood sugar to soar?
Using our 100% Paleo, grain-free, gluten-free Better Bread Mix, we’ve created an amazing Paleo “Rye” Bread recipe (without the rye)!
But before we show you how you can make this simple, no-knead bread in just 5 minutes flat, I want to share how we reinvented the addictive flavor of rye…
Paleo “Rye” Bread: The Flavor of Rye… Reinvented
If you have ancestral roots in Europe, rye bread may be a comfort food that’s close to your heart. As a staple in Russian, German, Austrian and Scandinavian cuisines, hearty rye bread plays a starring role in wide a variety of dishes.
From Rugbrød in Denmark, enjoyed as a lunch food with fish, meats and cheeses… to Schwarzbrot (black bread) in Germany used to make a wide variety of sandwiches and appetizers with smoked fish and caviar… to the elegant Swedish rye bread served with cured salmon and crème fraische.
But it isn’t really the “rye” that gives rye bread its distinctive flavor, texture and color.
In fact, the flavor that most people associate with rye is actually a combination of spices, sweeteners and other unique ingredients.
Caraway seeds are what provide rye bread with its most noticeable flavor. The rich color and spicy-sweet notes are the result of caramel or molasses added to the dough.
Some signature rye bread recipes also include a “secret” blend of ingredients like fennel, coriander, anise, cardamom, and even dried citrus, coffee and cocoa (and don’t even ask for the recipe – most serious baker’s wouldn’t dream of sharing!).
Any way you slice it, the combination of sweet, savory, rich and spicy flavors that create a moist, chewy and fragrant loaf of rye bread are addictively delicious!
And now you can get all of that goodness… without a gram of grain.
The Amazing “Ryeless” Paleo Gluten-Free Rye Bread Recipe
With just a few simple ingredients you can whip up this satisfying bread in minutes.
Taking cues from traditional rye bread recipes, we’ve used rich, organic cocoa and dark, unsulphured organic molasses to provide a hint of sweetness and a deep brown color.
We’ve also ground in caraway seeds to add texture and infuse the bread with fragrant spice. Instead of coffee, we’ve used brewed chicory to boost the bitter notes.
Best of all, each rich, moist, gluten-free serving provides 5 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and only 5 grams of carbs!
And while we decided to create free-form rye loaves this time, you can easily make a standard bread loaf, buns or dinner rolls instead (Paleo Reuben Sliders, anyone?). And don’t be afraid to experiment with different spices and to make your own “secret” recipe.
- 1 package Wellness Bakeries Better Bread Mix
- 8 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. organic apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup boiling brewed organic roasted chicory (or coffee)
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. organic natural cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. caraway seeds, finely ground + additional for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a baking sheet.
- Heat brewed chicory to boiling (no exceptions!).
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites, molasses and apple cider vinegar.
- Add Better Bread Mix, cocoa powder and ground caraway seeds and beat on medium low speed to combine.
- Pour in boiling chicory and blend again on medium low speed for 30-45 seconds, until the dough thickens and comes together.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl and form two balls.
- Place dough balls onto greased baking sheet and flatten to ¾inch height. Make three scores across the top of the dough, on a bias (this will help bread expand uniformly when baked).
- Sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
The Perfect Paleo Reuben: Homemade Paleo Russian Dressing
Bottled Russian salad dressings are notoriously loaded with preservatives, unhealthy fats and additives. But with a few wholesome ingredients, you can whip up a delicious, healthy Russian dressing in minutes. Serve with Bubbies Sauerkraut and grass-fed slow cooker corned beef for the ULTIMATE Reuben sandwich.
- 1 cup Muir Glen Organic Whole Tomatoes (canned)
- ½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. fresh horseradish, drained
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator.