Making the perfect loaf of sandwich bread – often called “Pullman bread” – is something many bakers aspire to. After all, there are few things better than two slices of soft, moist bread with a golden crust piled high with your favorite roasted meats… creamy chicken salad… or grilled with your favorite cheese.
But when it comes to baking sandwich bread without the use of grains or gluten, most loaves end up falling short (literally).
Today we’re going to show you how to create the PERFECT loaf of sandwich bread – without grains, gluten or dairy – in just 5 minutes flat!
Paleo Sandwich Bread: 3 Keys to a Tall, Golden Loaf
Obviously, the first key is to start with a good recipe. Today’s recipe uses our simple blend-and-bake Better Bread mix.
But even the best bread recipe will fail if you are using the wrong pan. For example, because grain- and gluten-free breads have a different structure and rise differently than traditional wheat-based loaves, a 9″ x 5″ pan usually produces a flat-topped loaf. Using a smaller pan, however, will allow your bread to achieve that nice rounded top (see below for specifications and our favorite brands). So, the right sized pan is the second key.
The third key is a simple trick that’s been used in conventional baking for centuries – an egg wash. By lightly brushing the top of your loaf with one egg whisked with a little water, you’ll create a beautiful golden crust with great chew and flavor.
You’ll just need a few simple ingredients to create loaves of bread just like the ones pictured here.… and a few basic kitchen tools:
- A large mixing bowl
- A silicone spatula or wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 7.5″ x 3.5″ or 7.5″ x 3.75″ loaf pan (like Magic Line Loaf Pan, WellBake, Fox Run or Louisville Stoneware)
- Unbleached parchment paper
- A pastry brush or unused paint brush
- 1 package Better Bread Mix
- 8 egg whites
- ⅔ cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg + 1 tsp. water (for an egg wash)
- Follow the instructions on the Better Bread Mix package to prepare your dough.
- Place the whole egg and water in a small ramekin and stir with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Line your baking pan with parchment paper. Place prepared dough into lined pan. Flatten the dough so it is evenly distributed.
- Use your pastry brush to paint the top of the loaf – this is what will give it that golden color and a nice chewy crust.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches between 200 F and 210 F.
- Remove loaf pan from the oven, then carefully remove the loaf from the pan.
- Place the bread loaf back into the oven directly on the oven grate. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. This is an important step. It helps to drive off some of the remaining moisture in the center of the bread. And it also helps to form a nice golden-brown crust over the entire loaf.
- Cool the loaf completely on a wire rack. Slice individual slices, as needed. Keep wrapped tightly in cellophane and enjoy within 3 days (room temperature) or 1 week (refrigerated).
The Results: 3 Phases of the Perfect Paleo Sandwich Bread
Here’s what your bread will look like fresh out of the oven…
…here’s your Paleo sandwich bread just after the “naked” re-bake that will ensure all of the unwanted moisture is driven off…
… And here is the final result!